First Drive

Discuss using and implementing the NearZero motor controller and the RoboWheel hubmotor.
slomobile

First Drive

Post by slomobile »

A work in progress. Made from a Carlon junction box from Lowes. The lazy susan bearing on top is intended to connect to a small trailer and distribute the tongue weight to the sides. Teensy 3.6 to read the Jetson Nano serial console and NearZero I2C bus and display messages on the 2 'eye' spi screens. Intel RealSense structured light camera. The flat backside is nice to tip the bot onto for testing the wheels. Extended the jumper pins with wires so my fat fingers didn't have to get in there. A small 12v solar panel straps on to keep the battery topped up when idle. This layout is intended to look like a 'bug' with 3 sections because 2 days ago my 2nd grader who is learning about bugs told me "All bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs." That sounded backwards to me and this was to illustrate it was not true. But apparently I was wrong and there is something called a "True bug". Alternate theme, "thinking outside the box". Because the brain is on the outside.
https://youtu.be/pH_zwHpNOLo
20200916_152937 - Edited.jpg
20200916_152937 - Edited.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 840 times
20200916_152603 - Edited.jpg
20200916_152603 - Edited.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 840 times

justine
Site Admin

Re: First Drive

Post by justine »

This. Is. Excellent. Thank you very much for posting, Dustin. By the way, I was just thinking the other day that those plastic junction boxes would make great project boxes.

~Justine

slomobile

Field weakening

Post by slomobile »

Field weakening is an uncommon feature I think I may need to add to bug's firmware. Any thoughts on how to implement that? Or if it is possible with this hardware. At minimum I need to control configuration variables via I2C while driving which I am already working on.

The 'trailer' behind 'bug' has more powerful(250w stall) and faster(200RPM@12V) open loop brushed motors. Bug serves as a smart steering front caster. In most cases, they will operate together within RoboWheel's maximum speed range. However, I would like to implement a 'high speed transport mode' on long straight paths. The rear wheels would push bug, via the lazy susan bearing faster than RoboWheels can normally be driven. RoboWheels would become generators/brakes. I would need to control the strength of that brake effect to maintain steering control and safely carry the negative current away to the battery(regenerative braking) , or to a diversion load.