Future Possibilities - outlandish Fun...updated

Discuss building and using the 3G rotary cell phone kit. If you're seeking help or would like to help others, this is the place to post.
13jwg

Future Possibilities - outlandish Fun...updated

Post by 13jwg »

For those with the appropriate abilities ....why not incorporate ....Steampunk..... :D

Also...A phone can be any number of shapes ...ergonomics are essential though ...a future Star shape would also be interesting.

Caution for the unaware:...all cell phones emit microwave pulses ... keep from continuous close contact with your body ...

Keep up the Good Work Justine & Others....;--)

SteveC

Re: Future Possibilities - outlandish Fun...updated

Post by SteveC »

Some nice ideas, steampunk is not something I want to carry every day but I've seen some amazing examples in my local maker space.
Caution for the unaware:...all cell phones emit microwave pulses ...
This is one of the reasons I appreciate the Rotary Cell Phone. I understand every mm of antenna separation make a significant difference to head radiation absorption although the body of the phone will also be a big radiator, I've run electromagnetic simulations of mobile phone antennas.

If you're interested enough to watch a video about this I recommend a talk by Dr Devra Davis. It is credible presentation of very technical topics in a way lay people can understand.

"The truth about mobile phone and wireless radiation" -- Dr Devra Davis

Safety standards rarely weaken over time.

13jwg

Post by 13jwg »

...Much appreciated SteveC. for the Dr.Davis info .....everyone should watch the video.... :)

*While building those cell systems/stations some years back, my Sr. Engineer advised that if I had plans for a family in the future to ensure that I keep my exposure to a minimum and duration around the transmitters as short as possible.....possible Glioma risk (brain cancer) with cell phones used close to you head....use an earphone or other....;---()

13jwg

Post by 13jwg »

Re: Steampunk .....another cheaper possibility for the person who desires to follow this route may be found in a Vinyl wrap.....

....textures, protrusions, pictures, and further phone case protection are possible (in case of an accidental drop). :geek:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." - Edgar Allen Poe

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

How about this?
Attachments
case_dark_brown.jpg
case_dark_brown.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 525 times
belt_clip.jpg
belt_clip.jpg (56.42 KiB) Viewed 525 times

13jwg

Post by 13jwg »

*** SteveC...... That is a Beautiful bit of leather work ....the belt clip is a MUST!... :mrgreen:

I just advised a friend about using a cell phone pouch and of your work here, as he unfortunately, just a few days earlier had left his phone on the bonnet (hood) of his car and drove-off....you can imagine the number of pieces it devolved into ....a proper pouch (like yours) would have saved days of anguish.

****** Well Done ****** and definitely FUNTASTIC!

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thank you :D ...and the parchment effect paper in the dial gives it a rustic edge I think.

The holes on the back are compatible with Tek-Lok belt clips.

I just remembered you raised interest in a semi rigid leather pouch last March under the Phone Care thread, sorry the solution took so long.

I could make a few pouches available for sale and/or publish how they're made but I think only one other forum member published a photo of a finished phone. From posts on this forum it doesn't appear many RCPs have been finished - I hope I'm wrong.

13jwg

Post by 13jwg »

Hello SteveC .....;--)

Just a further thought on your phone case: Am not sure on the robustness of the antenna mounting, but if you extend the
leather backing to an approximate 2 inches in height, then adjust the width slightly, you would have better support and possibly
prevent a stress failure. The extra case height would allow for a small internal semi rectangular pouch for accessory items.

..... Since you actually built a phone and a case, your knowledge and feedback here is indispensable.

Your Dial center looks authentic ....;--)....we used to type the numbers in and then later we used "Letraset" - transferable lettering....
...we would flip the Dial Centers over (blank on back) and add the desired info.

**Your case design is still a Great! piece of work.... :)

Best Regards

Actual Dial centers
Actual Dial centers
Dial_Centers_1.gif (61.2 KiB) Viewed 210 times
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We explore, or we expire. That is why we must get on with it. - Buzz Aldrin

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thanks jwg, you're spot on and a quick poll of friends and family revealed the same opinion (now they tell me)!

The antenna is the weakest link. I've thought of options but I don't yet have a solution I'm happy with for every day carry. Your idea would work but it also makes the case a little too big for my liking. I bought some short SMA extensions (see photo) but they don't work. The antenna SMA needs to be captive or it quickly unscrews (and an easily removable antenna is sure to be a regulatory issue). I'm prepared to try cutting a pouch for the antenna to fold next to the bargraph display (far from ideal, RF wise)... and I've tried to source some spare, low-cost antennas from AliExpress but I haven't found the right ones yet.

Meanwhile I'm just trying to be careful. I'll also try carrying a pouch with the side cutout (shown below) and see how that compares.
pouch_mods.jpg
pouch_mods.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Thanks again for the feedback, it's much appreciated as is your knowledge of early telephony and your earlier E.A. Poe signature strikes a chord with me ;)

Cheers,
Steve

13jwg

Post by 13jwg »

Some Food for Thought Steve.... :?:

How about antennae that slide up & down....flexy-type, thin, flat, rectangular... could fit inside the case....pull-up & push-in with elongated knob on top to assist as travel stop & pull.

....more: possible knob on bottom as upward stop - for flattened dumbbell shaped antennae.

*** In other words, a flex-cable "patch" style antenna with both polarization's (needed per Justine)

Check this out:
https://www.scielo.br/pdf/jmoea/v18n1/2 ... 1-0033.pdf

also: https://www.southwestantennas.com/products/all

** Kudos to you Steve **

Jerry

~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~` ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED, FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE "LIGHT!" - Unknown